View Single Post
      01-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
ewill858
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Many thanks to all of you for the helpful suggestions!

I just completed the oil change and it was fairly straightforward. Here are some lessons learned:

1) I could not drive straight onto the Rhino ramps because the front bumper hit the ramps before the tires did. I jacked up one side at a time and placed the ramps under the wheels. The suggestion above to use boards as an intermediate step sounded reasonable but I didn't have two boards handy. I did not see any obvious front/center jack point (like on my old E46).

2) Use the green mark on the oil filter housing to determine how far to screw it on (credit to one of the several N55 DIY's out there).

3) As for the quantity of oil to add, I had read 6.6 liters or 7 quarts. I believe these are roughly equivalent volumes. I initially poured in about 6.5 quarts, and ran the oil level measurement. It came up to about 70% between MIN and MAX. I poured in the remaining half a quart, and re-measured, and this time it showed exactly at the MAX line. Next time I'll just pour all 7 quarts at once.

4) The drain bolt didn't have a torque value printed on it (unlike what I've read for the N20 motors). The N55 has a metal oil pan, so perhaps it can take a higher torque. I read on one N55 DIY to use 25-30 ft-lbs, so I applied 25, and it seemed quite secure. After doing some more research, it looks like the drain-bolt torque spec should be 25N-m (or about 18.5 ft-lbs) so it seems I overtorqued it.

Hope this is helpful for others preparing to do the same job!

Last edited by ewill858; 01-24-2013 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0