View Single Post
      07-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #137
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 LMB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
Well, if your income in the military is going to be stable for a long time (which I'm guessing it is), and you're buying something 2.5 to 3.0 your yearly income (max) and put a sizable down payment (20%), I think you will be just fine.

Yeah gonna wait till after my next cruise so I can have some money saved up and enough for a decent down payment.

Now my next question would be, the only things I can find that I feel are reasonably priced in my range and good quality, are town homes. Some of them are pretty big, with two car garages etc, but the HOA and repair assessments that can blindside you sort of scare me. Don't want to randomly get a bill for thousands of dollars because something is structurally wrong with the building or new rood, etc.

Obviously a SFH would be preferred, but am I over stressing the HOA and condo fee things? Aside from the fact that theres other houses connected to some of them, I actually like quite a few, and they seem like good deals, but I still feel like I should stay away since there will be financial requirements eventually that I won't see coming.

I guess what it comes down to, is buying a Townhome a bad idea? Bear in mind I am a single service member with no dependents and when I am actually in the market to buy I will be 27, and it will be my first home.
Appreciate 0