View Single Post
      09-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #34
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Got my 335i back and the tech wrote that the reason my steering doesn't lock is because I have electric assisted steering.
Yeah, I know that.

However, some F30 owners have already stated that their steering wheels DO lock, and since we ALL have electric assist steering, that's not the reason why mine doesn't lock.
The tech just gave an obvious "answer" that doesn't explain anything.

I think the reason why some wheels lock and others don't seems to be which trans you have. AT's don't lock and MT's lock.

As for the clunking noise, no response at all, other than to write "normal".
So, according to this tech, if you have electric assist steering, then your steering doesn't lock. And if you have clunking, then it's normal, and if you don't have a clunking sound, well that's normal too. So hey, it's ALL normal.

I know these are "trained" technicians, but some times I wonder how well trained they really are? At least he could have looked up why some wheels lock and others don't, and then actually answer why the clunking sound.

I looked at the steering linkage to see what I could see while my sales guy turned the steering. The sound seems to be coming from around the firewall. There is a linkage that appears to couple the steering shaft coming from behind the firewall to a longer rod. It appears to me that the clunk is coming from that junction.
Normally I would be leery as to this being "normal", as a clunk would indicate some play in the coupling. But, there is no clunk when the engine is running.
So, if it's something wrong, I guess I'll have to wait until something gets worse, because apparently this tech can't be bothered.

I tested a 328i Lux line on the showroom floor, it did NOT make any clunking sounds.
Appreciate 0