View Single Post
      09-22-2014, 03:48 AM   #88
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
It's a shame BMW won't just admit that run flats are crap and get rid of them so they can go back to using decent suspension set ups!

It really is crazy to ruin a cars handling for the sake of something that happens so rarely! In 15 years of driving i've only ever had 2 total pressure loss punctures. I'd happily use tyre weld/slime twice every fifteen years to have all the advantages non run flats give!!
Isn't it more an issue of who is BMW's main market, and what they want, rather than the smaller amount of enthusiasts. BMW do give the enthusiast options, so they do realise there is a small market for more sporty suspensions.

BMW were getting criticism even ahead of RFTs, so it is not just an issue of the tyres themselves. We have moved on with RFTs anyway, we are not where we were 10-years ago. There is a shift to softer suspensions across the board, as car users have been complaining of where has the ride comfort gone? Hence why so many manufacturers are offering semi active suspensions to try and widen the working envelope and cover more user needs.

Read the mainstream car reviews where often the criticism is, don't go for the low profile tyre option and/or delete the sport suspension.

BTW, when RFTs were first muted, it was documented that when questioning focus groups, the idea of a 'run-on-flat' tyre was one of the most requested features. Better control of high speed blow outs, the ability to get to a safe place, or home (women particularly) with a puncture, were high on the list of benefits.

BMW are persisting with them, on most bread and butter models. Even Mercedes have quietly introduced the MO 'extended range' tyre on some models.

I do wonder how many typical BMW users even consider they could have a better/different handling car, let alone on aftermarket suspension?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0