View Single Post
      08-04-2012, 03:40 AM   #27
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamm3k View Post
Nothing wrong with the regular 335i at all. As a matter of fact, the regular bumper has grown on me more than the M Sport bumper. But I think BMW takes the M Sport as the real competition to the S4, as those would be the two "sportier" variants of the B8 and F30 chassis'.

The only "performance" upgrades I can think of on the M Sport is the lower suspension height. That's about it. I remember reading ( I can't confirm this though) that the electric steering will be tuned to make it a bit sportier.
The Msport standard suspension is the same as the sport line.
They both have a 10mm drop from the standard suspension.
You can get the adaptive M suspension as an option, but it doesn't have any lower drop.

As for the steering it's the same, at least according to BMW literature.
If it's different, or better tuned in the Msport it will be an unexpected bonus.
If you get the handling pkg it comes with the adaptive suspension and VSS, variable sport steering. That racks steering ratio is a bit tighter than the standard rack. That will give it a slightly different feel, but overall I don't know yet. My 335i Msport with handling pkg will be here in a few weeks, and I'm looking forward to feel, if any, difference in the steering besides the slightly tighter ratio.

As for firmness, all 3 comes with "driver mode" that can be set to "sport", which brings it closer to the heft of the E46 and E90 3's. But, it's still not as heavy as those.

About the only performance difference with Msport could be the tires, as the standard set is 225 front and 255 rear. Besides looking good, there is wider rubber in the rear to help in handling due to the wider contact patch.
Also, I can't confirm this until I get mine, but the summer performance tires are likely to be actual summer performance tires rather than the summer touring tires that many if not most sport lines get.
I was very disappointed to discover that what BMW calls "summer performance" tires on the sport line 18's are actually "touring" type summer tires. So, if M sport gets real summer perf tires on the standard 18's, that will be a bit of added performance.
The 19" optional size seem to come with true summer performance rubber.
Appreciate 0