09-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #104
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr View Post

I played around with the idea of modding the current inlet pipe to fit the passenger side, N62 intakes and I think the 3.0D from overseas are other possible OEM intakes that could be modified to work for us but the idea of cutting and then plastic welding or taping? the OEM intake back together seems like it would possible offer a rough transition for the air flow and/or look a bit unrefined so I will stick with the pipe and silicone. I think if executed properly it will look clean.

It will be a tight fit to stuff all of those items in the engine bay with such a short run but I think it's possible, it at least seems possible enough for me to try.

As for the OEM dual intake piping, I guess if you wanted maximum filter surface area that is a good way to go but then again if you are that concerned about filtration then sticking filters in the direct line of ram air may not be the best idea.
Yeah I'm not too worried about stuff getting in there. I'd definitely use a prefilter and wouldn't mind switching back to stock in the winter. But you've already given me some great ideas and that site you mentioned that has oval bent steel pipe just might give me enough to want to start this project some time. Maybe next summer I can tac something together for a rough design on a dual ram intake setup in the grille, then if it works out and fits nicely I'll weld it up, paint it then run it! If not, like you say a single pipe looks like it should work no problem or maybe I could downsize to the 3.0" oval pipe for less bulk since it'll be duals instead of single. Idk it's just an idea I had in my head, most will say it's a waste but I like custom little touches like that to make my vehicles unique.