View Single Post
      04-18-2017, 09:57 PM   #55
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerFan View Post
I have both BM3 and JB4 on my car. The reason why most people don't have a before and after dyno of just and IC and DP is because in my opinion, most people are already FBO and JB4 before BM3 showed up. And, most people do not want to take off all their mods and leave the IC and DP just for dyno numbers. People's scenarios are different and so are their goals. Dyno runs also aren't cheap. I can attest that BM3 is smoother than JB4 and stock flash. It is incredible how my car pulls and feels with just 16 PSI on BM3 with 93 octane. I could go dyno it now, but I have a full exhaust, intake, charge pipe oh gosh, I have a PS2 as well. Sorry. I had driven my car for about 50k miles with JB4, FBO and e30-e40 on stock turbo running map 7 ~19 PSI then drove it on PS2 for another 10k miles with the trimmings DV+, Hi flo inlet..etc with as high as 28 PSI on map 6 with E60 in the tank. The car was quite quick, but the dyno curve, granted the car put down 525whp and 524wtq was choppy as hec and logs were not clean. I went back and fort for tuning help at N54 tech, but my car 'just won't get right' lol. I dialed the car back to map 7 and drove it that way for months until I went BM3. A good decision so far as we progress through taking full advantage of all my mods and cranking up boost. After installing the OTS tune that came with my license and a couple of revisions, I was completely blown away. If someone told me 'ah, power isn't everything' I would tell them to go sit down and have a coke and a smile..lol. My experienced butt dyno told me that although my car wasn't quite as fast as it's previous configuration, it felt buttery smooth and pulled like a freight train. I put my JB4 on map 4 and drove my car for weeks a very happy man..lol.

In my honest opinion, granted my car is modded to near the end of it's life, I would go BM3 if I had to start over. Flash wins over piggy-back all day ayday and twice on Sundays. I wish I had your dilemma back in late 2013 when I took delivery of my car. I suppose it all depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go with modding your car. If you chose to go as far as I have gone, you'll quickly find out that you'll NEED a flash tune or BEF/JB4. Good luck on whatever you decide.

I've gone down a similar path with my car, and I agree wholeheartedly. We're still working on the tune for my car (I have a dyno this weekend, but I think I'll make as much as I did on JB4 if not more), but the second version I had that made 40HP less than on JB4 felt much better driving. The guys at the dyno also noted how much better the AFR and power/torque curves looked with the BM3 vs the JB4.

We're getting pretty high up in our tuning at this point (Halim and Dzenan are freaking awesome with this) and the map I just got from them today is boosting to 18-20PSI (target seems to be about 23PSI) whereas the previous one that made less power than the JB4 was only about 10-11PSI. I imagine this next dyno will be a good one. Just have to figure out if I have a boost leak somewhere...
2013 ActiveHybrid 3 (335ih) • N55 PWG • Meisterschaft GT catback • Wagner tuning catless DP and Stage 2 Evo Comp Intercooler • ER chargepipes • CTS intake • io2V3 O2 simulator • Pure Stage 2 turbo with high-flow inlet and DV upgrade • Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP • JB4 ISO firmware • Fuel-It DIY PI Kit • bootmod3 •
Appreciate 2
FSociety3811.50