12-19-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
ozorion
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 30D MSport

Garage List
Random, Unexplained Problem

One day last week, I was driving my six week old car when I suddenly got a status warning indicating that the Front Camera had failed and that the Collision Warning system was therefore offline. I suspected I might have hit a bug or something so next time I pulled over, I checked the camera and found no issue, when I started the car up again, the status had cleared.

Today I had a much more serious issue. I was driving when I suddenly got the following warnings:

Steering failure - drive moderately and contact BMW service as soon as possible.
Restraint system failure - IMPORTANT - contact BMW service as soon as possible.
Front camera failure - Collision detection system offline.

As the same time I lost power steering, and the pre-tension on the seatbelts slacked off. I guessed that the car was in some sort of limp-home mode, and I was only two blocks from my office, so I went there and parked. I shut the car off, and when I restarted it, all the errors had gone, and everything was working properly again.

I contacted my dealer, North Shore BMW, and they told me to take the car straight in to their service centre. I did so, experiencing none of the issues along the way. Later in the day they contacted me and told me that it was a one-off software error that won't happen again.

I'm still a little concerned, especially as I'm planning a long trip on Christmas Eve.