View Single Post
      05-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
smurphy522
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i (2007)

2013 328i as loaner - not impressed

Well I've had a 2013 328i (very basic trim) for a week now as my 2007 335i is getting new turbos, front suspension work (bushings replaced) and a leaking mechatronics seal replaced. My 335 has the sport and premium packages along with the Logic7 HK stereo - just so that readers understand what I am "used to".

I would say the only things I consider an improvement on the new model 3 series are: the location of the cup holders, the comfort access (a feature I cold have gotten back in 2007) and the look (lines) of the front of the car.

The 2.0 turbo and that horrible start/stop feature when coming to a complete stop are probably the worst thing. I can see having to replace a starter motor and wearing out much of the engine components prematurely due to large increases in the engine starting. It is proven that most engine wear occurs in starting of an engine (albeit larger wear comes with a cold engine, of course).

The controls, buttons and overall feel is of much lesser quality. I am curious if this is the same feeling from past 3 series owners? The engine is peppy for a 2.0 litre and the transmission is decent for an Automatic. The radio and iDrive is a mess. Can't imagine how many accidents are attributed to this unintuitive mishmash of "convenience features"

It just feels like so much less of a car. I am definitely not missing getting a new car - will hold onto mine for as long as I can. BWM really dropped the ball on this new F30 series IMHO.
Appreciate 0