View Single Post
      02-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #41
mrunner
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintoom View Post
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.
Tried the gravel method, but the holes in the lawn were so deep that i could not get the gravel beneath the tires. The minute I let out the clutch, the gravel was sent flying.
So back to Home depot, purchased a 3200 lbs rated steel cable, and two 2600 lbs rated hooks.
Pulled the car out with the RAV4.

It has snowed again last night, so cannot take pics of the holes created by the tires.

The cable and hooks have permanently found a place in the trunk for situations like these.... hope I never have to do it again.
Once again all your help is very much appreciated.
Nice! I've had my BMW hanging off a tow strap down my steep driveway more than once. Just be careful with your steel cable and hooks. There is probably a 2:1 or 4:1 difference between working and breaking load.

none the less, never give real hard yanks on that cable and hooks. And if you ever find yourself away from home needing this kind of help, and you happen to find someone with a truck to help you.... make sure they understand this....no violent yanks. I know my 4Runner pulls my 6000# trailer on idle. Imagine the force a cowboy with a heavy gas foot in a cummins dodge will generate on the steel wire rope. They should be able to gently pull you out, barely any gas.
Appreciate 0