11-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by movietub View Post
Sure - I don't agree with the prejudice (any prejudices in fact) and the stigma is not as bad as it once was... But plenty will see still see any german exec car, and still particularly the beemer as a cocks car. It's getting better, but these people will always exist. But yea the cars and brand have plenty of reasons to deserve respect. You can turn round and tell anyone these days that your decision to buy the BMW has nothing whatsover to do with the badge. There are so many other reasons that make complete sense - bottom line, it's an above average car. That's what swung me!
Definitely; but I think my main point was that before perhaps there was reason for such prejudice to exist, as the brand did undoubtedly attract a certain type of person/driver as part of its customer base. I personally think that isn't the case anymore, so the bit of prejudice that does still exist is just based on the past, usually held by the uninformed, and just isn't warranted anymore, so can be completely disregarded. Agree that any prejudice - whether representative and true or not - shouldn't be there though!

To be honest, you can get many 'average' cars these days - Mondeos, Citroen people carriers, Peugeots, hell even Kias - for at least the £24k starting price for a 3 Series, and often more, with the 3 Series obviously being the much better car (specific needs and practicality aside), even for economy, and not even considering higher residuals. So, as long as that person is driving the car because they appreciate it, and not just because of the badge, then the only assumption being made should be that they make very good buying decisions

Anyway...onto the subject of brakes; I didn't spec the M Sport brakes on my 330d; my 135i has uprated brakes as standard (fixed caliber 6-pot on the front I think), which are sublime. I wonder if I'll be underwhelmed going to the 330d standard brakes?