View Single Post
      12-04-2023, 06:45 PM   #3
missingmybimmers
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MT

Update: did the job. A few notes for anyone that stumbles on this and needs to replace their pump in the future.

- I drained the coolant from the lower radiator hose. Interesting thing to note - not all the coolant came out. Not sure why.
- I removed the serpentine belt.
- I removed the airbox/piping all the way down to the turbo inlet, which involved unclipping a few sensors and detaching a couple PCV lines.
- I then removed the fan - it gets hung up on the right side, the best thing was to have another person hold down the top tab it mounts to with a screwdriver so you can guide it out.
- I did not remove the charge pipe (mine is stock).
- I then removed the water pump. I used a punch and a hammer and struck it behind the pulley, and it came lose. If you don't want to risk that I would probably remove the charge pipe to gain access to pry at the top.
- I scrapped the old gasket material off the bracket using a razor blade. I wiped everything up with a cloth.
- I mounted the new water pump, and carefully threaded the T30 screws by hand until they were snug. The torque spec is 19 nm. I had a tough time getting my torque wrench into position so I ended up doing it by feel, I was just really careful since they're going into aluminum not to over torque them.
- I refilled the coolant using a vacuum filler from Amazon, it was like $80. Make sure to hold the container level or above the expansion tank or you'll get air bubbles.
- Followed the coolant bleeding procedure described elsewhere.

Not leaking now. Took me probably 5-6 hours but I'm fairly inexperienced at these things. I didn't think it was too tough. Definitely worth tackling, the dealer quoted me $1400 for the job and I paid $140 for the pump on FCP Euro.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
sygazelle11481.00
Fredo201.50
ErikB60.50
TX55256.00
Xover22106.00