12-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #22
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

I *think* this is how it works, based off the not-too-clear owner's manual:

Default mode upon startup: DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) mode
Traction control is enabled (ie, limiting drive-wheel spin via throttle control and/or brake application)
Stability control is enabled (ie, controlling under- and over-steer by applying brakes to individual wheels)

Hitting the DSC button once: turns on DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) mode
This mode appears to disable the "helps to keep the vehicle on a steady course" aspect of DSC - the under/oversteer control bit. Traction control is still enabled, and sounds like the car won't engage individual brakes to correct yaw movement. Somehow this is supposed to help with getting/staying moving on unplowed snowy roads, gravel roads, and the like. Probably because in such low-traction conditions, there's so much slippage that DSC would be constantly engaging, to the detriment of actually getting anywhere.

Holding the DSC button for 5-10 seconds: turns on DSC OFF mode
"Stability is reduced." But the manual also says "the DSC system is switched off." So I'm not clear to what degree the nannies are deactivated, but the implication is that both traction and stability controls are effected.

Then there are the driving modes:
ECOPRO, COMFORT and SPORT are known.
SPORT+ isn't clearly described in the manual. "Limited driving stabilization. The driver handles several of the stabilization tasks." But the owner's manual seems to be saying that SPORT+ is the same as SPORT plus DTC. In other words, the stabilization program is disabled, but traction control is still active. So no power slides, but you can spin out by taking a corner too fast, or understeer off the road by entering a corner too fast. Not that you could easily do a power slide anyway, what with the open diff.

Last edited by elistan; 12-11-2012 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Updating SPORT+ entry
Appreciate 0