View Single Post
      06-08-2018, 05:12 AM   #26
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
I have been reading alot of threads on here comparing the e9x m3 to the newer f8x m3 and how many feel the e9x to have more road feel and connection. I came out of an evo and into my e92 m3 and the car is wayyyyy less raw. I find the car a bit too disconnected and tame but now that I went S/C I do enjoy the car but don't get the race car feel. I find myself at times missing having a throttle cable and a twin disc clutch without a dual mass flywheel where the shifts bang into the next gear. I do miss the road noise as well. Never did I complain or dislike the turbo lag either. It's just the calm before the storm. Once that 29 psi I was running hit the feeling was unmatched. I don't need all of this sound deadening in the m3 either.

With all that said I plan to keep my m3 for sure but in another year or so I plan to begin my search for another evo or similar raw car. The kid of car that after putting a couple hundred miles on it you need a break from it.

There must be other out there who feel the same...

Edit.. The evo I am mentioning was an 03 Evo 8. The evo 10's to me got rid of the raw feeling as well. Especially the automatic.
I owned an Evo 8 for 10 years prior to the M3. I loved that car and there were things it could do that were amazing. The most endearing though was how consistent it was with mechanical diffs, throttle cable and no traction control.

Now....in some ways it was similar to the M3, like the solid mounted rear subframe. But that's where BMW has managed to take similar features and design out all the racket and noise. Plus the Evo understeers quite a bit. The BMW chassis is far more balanced (and I had custom Ohlins on the evo). Haven't even gotten to the point that the M pulls like a raped ape bone stock, like holy shit.

IMHO I miss the evo, until I drive the M. It looks better, is faster, is nicer, quieter, better stereo and on and on.

God I miss the steering in the evo though.
Appreciate 0