04-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by one 35i View Post
Dac, three generations of my family are going for the first time this year! Hope to see you there and let me know of more interesting side venues you have discovered.
That's really cool! I know you will have fun at LeMans.

When I went back in 1998, I had no real idea how HUGE this event would be. And how many darn Brits(no offense guys) would make the trek across to France. You have to picture 400K people, maybe 150K or which were Brits. Then add in lots of beer - stir for a bit, then when its time to look for a toilet... the track only had what seemed like four "Johnys" for the entire track. I have never seen so many men peeing everywhere one looked. That is what I remember most about the race. That, and how AWESOME it was. No really, it was like a county fair, mixed in with a classic car, with a huge sporting event like the superbowl, but without any toilets or any kind of organization. But dam those French cops looked elegant in their uniforms.

My tips for you would be... take a small van or wagon and take turns sleeping in that, during the night. Bring lots of snacks and food and drinks. Everything had a huge line and was pricey. Once you park your car... don't think of moving it. Because you really can not. Bring comfy walking shoes... I walked my butt off. They do have buses that can take you to the special turns like the Porsche curves and Indy section. We ended up parking near the start/finish and we walked A LOT. I'd say five to eight miles. Be prepared. Go visit the LeMans Museum near the start finish line. Its really a nice museum.

Also in France now... DO NOT speed more than 50 kph over their highway speed limits. They will now TAKE your driver's license away(for good! in France) for that. I think it's also a 750 euro fine, payable on the spot! So drive close to the speed limit. Also the tolls on the French highways are high. So bring cash or a CC.

Either before or afterwards I would also go visit the Mulhouse Museum in Mulhouse, France. Its near Strassbourg or Strasbourg(also a nice city to visit). The Mulhouse museum is also called: Cité de l'Automobile or the Schlumpf Collection. Its a VERY nice museum. Some 400+ cars with lots of Bugatti's and a special LeMans display of historic cars. They also have a sister museum across town that has lots of Trains.

Cité de l'Automobile or the Schlumpf Collection
http://citedelautomobile.com/en/home

And have fun!
Dack
Appreciate 0