View Single Post
      03-15-2015, 08:06 PM   #6
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
I don't get it... why are the 2 middle ones different? The sensors themselves are the same as all the others
The sensors aren't different, it's just the brackets keep the angle straight. The angle of the M-Sport bumper appears to be different than the angle of a non M-Sport bumper. The M-Sport front bumper is angled down & in (toward the back of the car). If you didn't have this different support bracket then the PDC sensor would be angled down to the ground instead of straight out & thus not as effective. This bracket makes the senor angle perpendicular to the ground.

On our M-Sport X3, it's just normal 18mm holes... reason being that M-Sport bumper doesn't angle in, rather almost straight down.

This all came to me the other day when I was riding behind a Cadillac Escalade. All of the sensors in the rear had this much larger bracket (similar to the M-Sport bumper).. when looked at the angle of the bumper once i rolled slowly beside him at a stop light.. then the light bulb in my head went off & I finally realized why. The rear bumper in this off white Escalade were down & in to the front of the car... the sensors + bracket were just obnoxious to say the least...

Was is so funny about this whole project is probably about 4-5 months ago, i never paid attention to any sensors on a car. Now i look at every car that goes by see if they have front &/or rear PDC...lol.. The straw that broke the camels back.. i got behind an E46 325i & they had sensors in their bumper (in the black plastic trim)... 1st thing i did when i got home was search the internet to see what year this became available...lol... And sure enough it was 2005. I was thinking i can't believe they had PDC in 2005 on a 3 series & it isn't standard in our cars..... it angered me more that my car didn't have this feature & that is when i started purchasing items for the retrofit...
Appreciate 0