Xiaofeng
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007.5 E90 335xi Montego/Lemon

Garage List
2007 E90 335xi  [0.00]
1991 325iX  [0.00]
The severe lack of reading comprehension in this thread is frightening, but based off of how most of the members type in the forums, I suppose I can't say I'm truly surprised. When the entire nation as a whole no longer gives two sh*ts about correctly speaking, writing, and understanding their own f*cking language, it's only a matter of time before we plummet into another dark age.

====================

Anyway, back on topic. Has anyone else noticed that the track of the new chassis is significantly smaller than what the faux-fenders would suggest? My guess is that the track for the F30 would only be 1-1.5" wider than the current E90 (@ 59.1"), which would come pretty close to the current E60 (@ 61.3"), but not quite match it. Didn't notice too much in terms of the wheelspan though, so maybe the car won't be quite as long as some would suggest. Don't expect the F30 to get smaller though, as BMW needs to further differentiate their 3-series from their 1-series.

I just hope that with the increased dimensions, BMW exercises more extensive use of lightweight alloys when possible to help offset the weight of the already somewhat heavy E9x series, especially now that fuel economy is on the forefront of many peoples' minds (except for perhaps the past few months). And with CAFE standards dictating average fleet MPG to go from 31-35 from 2011-2020, that falls right into effect during the F30 life cycle.

But on the positive end, the wider track could mean even better handling (provided weight doesn't go unchecked).

Appreciate 0