07-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #13
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
Glad they are bringing the four-cylinder diesel here. I think generally the reason anyone would buy a diesel is for the fuel economy. While the 335d is a monster, it was more expensive than the 335i and being a 6 cylinder, the mileage was good, but not great. A four cylinder diesel, cheaper than the 335i (hopefully) and I'd guess a roughly 45 MPG EPA highway rating sounds like a more appealing choice financially over a gas car. Probably something people weren't able to justify with the 335i/335d choice.

280 ft.lbs will still make it a decently brisk car in real-world driving situations.
I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised at how well the 320d drives in real life. If you are driving balls out hard, the 328i is certainly faster but otherwise the torque comes in nice and early with the diesel and it is great fun. Apart from the economy figures, the phenomenal range of the car between filling up is an added bonus.