09-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #21
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
Think of how much cheaper BMWs could be if they didnt waste all this money developing and researching pointless vehicles.. the 3er would still be 28k.

Vehicles i think are pointless and we already have a perfect solution for them.

3GT
4GC
X4
5GT
6GC
X6
Most of the new models have been profitable, that means having more models in the lineup actually increases the amount of money BMW has for R&D and makes the rest of the lineup cheaper, not more expensive.

I think I remember reading that the 5GT was selling slowly and that they were considering canceling it, but on the other hand the X6 has been selling so well that they're following up with the X4 and are coming out with even more high-end SUVs.

As a general rule of thumb, a business does things to make money so you can rest assured that if BMW was losing money making all these extra cars, the board of directors would simply stop approving them. This is a company that has shown itself to be very acutely aware of the feasibility of its future products. Remember that they worked on the E92 M3 CSL for a couple years before the board cancelled the project after the economic crisis destroyed the potential market for that car.
Appreciate 0