02-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #75
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
...[I] do all my own maintenance (I hate the stupid pre-paid maintenance plan BMW makes you buy in the US).
Next time you are in the mood to throw away $1500-$2000, please PM me. I live relatively close to you and I'm sure I could be there within an hour or less to take that money off your hands. I have two kids in college and a third about to head there. I know if I don't know what to do with that money, they will.

Quote:
So call me not a Roundel badge whore; but I don't see the need to tart-up a great driving BMW with a bunch of options. I drive about 34,000 miles a year in my E90; I really don't want to spend an extra $7K for options that don't really enhance the driving experience.
I'm not sure what a badge whore is. Still trying to figure out if I am one or not for I have 2 BMWs of my own and gave one each to my two oldest kids. Don't know if that makes me a whore or a pimp.

Laden with options isn't what I'd call the 320 I described in my first post, aside from that's what it looks like because the 320 carries fewer things standard than does the 335, which is what I have now. Basically, I agree with you about keeping the options list short on a 3er. My 335 has but sport package, heated seats and leather, the last only because I wanted red seats, not because I mind having leatherette.

Quote:
So the 320i got my interest, until I looked into the details. On the BMW website, on some pages (the first I read), called the engine a "2.0L in-line 4 cylinder" with 180 HP; so I thought, great a naturally aspirated 4-banger (= a bit slower but with reliability and better fuel mileage), just what I need for my commute. But no, it's just a detuned N20, with no better EPA MPG rating than the N20 in the 328i. It's 0 - 60 time is 7.1 seconds vs. the 328i's 5.8 seconds. Considering the reliability of BMW's turbos (E90 335i) is not yet known for the N20, I can't justify a 320i purchase as a high mileage low maintenance cost daily driver.

Sparsely optioned, like my current E90 325i is (Sport package, Adaptive HIDs, and Bluetooth), the F30 320i comes in at $37,195. A similarly equipped 328i Sport Line comes in at $42,225, a $5,250 difference for 60 more HP and 1.3 seconds fast 0 - 60 time. Hummmm.... Not sure I see the point.
For me, must haves on my cars are:
  • Sport suspension
  • Sport seats
  • Navigation
  • Moonroof
  • Power, heated seats
  • Heated steering wheel, provided that buying CWP to get it doesn't force me to spend $1450 to buy leather also
  • Xenon lights
  • Rear view camera

Were I content with just the extras you mentioned, $5200 would be enough of a savings for me to go with the 320i.

Quote:
So, close BMW, close; why not give us long-timer cheapo-badge whores, a nice 2.0L naturally aspirated and reliable in-line 6 (like a 3-Series should have) with direct injection for an F30 320i price.
The only reason I can come up with for why BMW don't do this is CAFE, to which BMW was a supporting party in the 2011 CAFE standards promulgation, so they can't really just ignore it. Even so, I don't understand at all how it is that BMW can spend money to detune the N20, yet sell it for less money than one that hasn't been detuned.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0