05-06-2015, 10:11 PM   #9
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 328i M-Sport AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by reu2 View Post
Make sure you get a Battery Discharge device that is an "Uninterruptible power source". The auto start/stop function can mess with your camera otherwise. I think (and use) the MotoPark Multi Safer, also the same device in the above video. The Blackvue kit will often ship with a Power Magic model, but many BMW F## owners have been very unsatisfied with that model.

As for the hatch, the kit ships with some cable management clips. You basically run the wire out of the trim just above where you're mounting the rear camera using a clip to hold it in place. Then, using another clip on the hatch, clip in the wire leaving just enough wire to allow the tail gate to fully open. You'll have a little loop of wire when the tailgate is closed, and the clips will keep everything in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
Feng,

I can't help you with the tailgate wiring issue as I have installed my cameras in a sedan. I'm sure you'll work out a neat way to do it.

I have used a Magic Pro with my BlackVue. The system has been installed for more than a year now and I haven't had any problems with the cameras while driving or while parked.

I have used Fuse 162 and it works just fine - no problems to-date. All I did with this is extend the red wire from the Magic Pro, pull the fuse, and wrap the wire around one post. Then re-insert the fuse (its a bit of a tight fit). You can get special fuse connectors/adapters, but I didn't bother. It works fine as is.

The Magic Pro allows you to run the cameras while parked for variable times from 6 hours to infinity. I leave my car parked in the garage while I'm overseas for a month or more at a time and the battery has always been strong enough to start the car when I return to Oz. That is, the Magic Pro works well enough to shut off the power to the cameras when left for an extended period. The only thing that occurs after such a time period is that it takes a while for the battery to fully charge before allowing the Stop/Start to work.

I've attached a PDF file that can walk you through the wiring. I'm assuming the F30 Wagon is similar to the F30 Sedan.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Steve
Thanks for the replies guys.

I need to figure out what 'UPS' i get. I've read good things about the Power Magic, but then in the latest video by Alex (BlackBoxMyCar) he comments about a different one.

Regarding the rear, I'm still thinking I might get an exploded view of my rear tail gate so I can try and run it through the rubber so i can hide my cables more than having the slack in the cable. Not a fan of having excess cable if i can help it
Appreciate 0