Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Unless the current custom build section on the BMW's US website is wrong, BMW has gone off the deep end along with Audi with trying to force buyers to take expensive option packages in order to get something as basic and desirable as an upgraded audio system.

This is forcing me to seriously consider telling the Germans to FK OFF.

I went to the BMW site and build an M240i and to get a supposed stand-alone HK audio system option, priced at $875, you have to accept the "premium pkg" at an additional $2250. It's really fk'ing stupid.
Given the requirement of getting the prem pkg, then just include the damn HK audio system in the prem pkg and price it at $3125. The end result is the same.

The only customer who will spend less is one who doesn't want at least a decent audio system but wants the Prem Pkg. items.

I have no need for NAV and thus have no need for BMW's Prem Pkg.
I do and always have picked the best audio option I can get.
And, BMW's HK system isn't that great in the first place.
It's decent, but I've heard standard item audio systems in cars that include it in the base price.
Audi does the same BS with their A3/S3.

BMW's pricing for the 3 series Msport is even more stupid-er.
A 330i Msport base with only adding HK audio, which requires paying for $2900 for it plus $875 for the HK audio, results in an MSRP of $49,325.
An M340i Msport base with no added options includes the HK audio system and has an MSRP of $49,500.
For someone like me who has no need for NAV, there is no reason to not get the M340i over a 330i Msport, none.

My 2016 M340i Msport has only added leather, M adaptive suspensino, and HK audio and came in around $51K.
A current 2018 M340i with same features, plus adding the 4/50K Ultimate Care +1, to get the same maintenance as mine, has an MSRP of $52,600.
Not a crazy increase for a 2 model year newer M340i.

But, the options packaging has become really stupid and expensive for the so called "lower priced" 3 series.

Yes, for me, something this seemingly minor ticks me off, because I expect a high quality audio system in a "near luxury" car. The HK audio should be the standard audio system in N.A market, or a true stand alone option as it was.
BMW and Audi are going to lose some of us because of their stupidity and greed, as if it's something new to the Germans.
The reverse could also be true. A car essentially 2 ways. Striped or Loaded.

Easier for BMW. Easier for Dealers.

Be glad you still have options.
Meh. With my order it was an issue with my dealer because of the specific things I wanted. The 704M wheels were almost impossible to find.. along with the track pack. Then the M Performance parts took a minute too.

It has gotten more confusing.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0