View Single Post
      07-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #107
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

In the 18 years that I've been a loyal 3-series customer, not once has BMW asked me what I want. You know how they determine what customers want? The media is one source. You get these Yahoo's at "Auto Motor und Sport" or "Car & Driver" doing comparison tests between these cars. The test report will stat that they like the BMW, but will have a comment in there that they like the extra leg room in the Audi, or the luxury of the Mercedes and on and on.
Well, then BMW makes the next model bigger (to "fix" that problem) and Audi, Mercedes and everybody else follows suit with their new models. So, over the last 30 years we had that happen a half dozen times.

Fast forward to today; you claim it is the people that want the bigger size and I'm sure there are many that like that, but there a also many that don't, but as stated, we are not asked. I'm sure you heard about the analogy of putting a frog in hot water, or just raising the temperature of the water gradually. There are many, myself included, that keep buying generation after generation, because it is only a couple of inches larger and only 150 pounds heavier from one to the next. Well, eventually it is a completely different animal. Like somebody else wrote, where do you draw the line?

So your reasoning for not wanting a smaller car plugged in below the 3 series is (in your own words) ....."there is just too much conversation that goes along these lines, just too many threads derailed by people who wish the F30 to fail, who have no interest in the car, and will never buy one." REALLY, that's the reason?

I don't know where you get the idea that we want the F30 to fail. I think they did a good job with the car. I'm not asking them to down size the 3 series by 2 generations, that would be ridiculous. All we are asking is for them to build a car that many of us want, and there is a market for it! I'm sure of it!
Appreciate 0