05-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #19
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphy522 View Post
Well I've had a 2013 328i (very basic trim) for a week now as my 2007 335i is getting new turbos, front suspension work (bushings replaced) and a leaking mechatronics seal replaced. My 335 has the sport and premium packages along with the Logic7 HK stereo - just so that readers understand what I am "used to".

I have basically the same car as your 335, less the premium package, but then that thing only gets you the auto-folding mirrors and some other stuff that is of little real value (IMO, after all, Lowes sells garage door openers for but $30), which the F30s have anyway. I'm not disappointed by the 328i, and I've had those base model loners as well.

I bought my kid an E91 that has the iDrive and radio just as the F30 does. It doesn't seem unituitive to me. Indeed, on her car, I can find the HD2 and HD3 radio stations which I have no idea how to access, let alone store, on my regular, non-iDrive radio in my car. Moreover, as I'm old enough to remember MLK's March on Washington (that's probably the very first thing in the world of which I have a memory), I was quite pleased with myself that my non-techie, non-computer savvy brain could figure it out without using the manual. Just mess with it a bit, I'm sure it'll come to you in no time. Now, my father, who also has a E92 coupe with navigation and iDrive, still requires that I program the thing for him. But then he's 95; I'm not all that sure he's made much of an effort to make sense of it.

I have to agree, however, I like the feel/hand of the radio and temperature controls better on the E9x cars, and I like the E9x cup holders better (please, everyone, enough has been said about what's good and bad about the E9x cup holders, let's not hijack this thread over it).

All that notwithstanding, I respect that everyone is entitled to their opinion about liking and not liking the interior design of a car. What I don't really understand is why you think the iDrive would cause accidents. I can see that happening if one has the BMW Apps, but then one shouldn't be driving an messing around on Facebook (or whatever) at the same time, and those who do, deserve, as much as anyone, the misfortune that befalls them. Aside from changing the radio station or choosing a tune from one's iPod, I can't imagine what else one would do with the damn thing while also driving, and thus cause an accident.

FWIW, I suspect no accidents are ever attributed to the convenience features of any car. As far as I know, every automobile accident that has ever, or will, happened, occurred as a result of acts of God, critters, and people. I will grant though that there must be some accidents that result from a failed mechanical part and the car's owner couldn't have reasonably been expected to know the part would fail, or operate, in the case of those cars that become possessed by Satan or aliens and just up and start accelerating, all the while the driver has the brake depressed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0