07-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #21
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFatAngry View Post
I would be interested in finding out how the hell do they actually do this? Like in the factory in Munich or Leipzig do they manufacture cars with the old iDrive and ship to Canada while the new ones are shipped somewhere else ?!?!?

That sounds stupid to me, two production lines creating the same product one with old and one with new iDrive.
Maybe the Canadian dealers will be getting all their allocations from the July, August, September and October builds?

Who knows....cuz I mean, if you customorder a 2013 in January, I guess they need to build it with the current hardware.

Maybe the new nav system is all programming and no hardware. If that's the case, it would be done when it gets to Canada. I know that if you get Euro delivery, the europe maps are loaded at the factory in Germany, and switching it to the Canada maps is part of the prep before you get delivery back home.

BMW Canada probably just said "We're good. We'll stick with the old system for anotehr year. No need to retrain our programming guys on the new system or bother giving our custimers what they pay for."
Appreciate 0