View Single Post
      09-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
SV77
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Have VSS and also experiencing the "clunk". My car went to the shop 5 times already to fix this, because this is NOT normal in my opinion. They have replaced the steering house/ elbow coupling? / cross coupling but to no avail. They have ordered another part now in hope this will resolve this issue.

The "clunk" is mostly noticeable when you are steering in a direction (left/right) combined with another force on the wheel like braking, accelerating, excessive G-forces on bumpy roads. It simply does not give me confidence in the car.

I had an external opinion and according to their investigation the cause is the steering house. You are able to hear the sound when the car is stationary and off and you wiggle the steering left-right-left-..... very rapidly. When you apply an downward (I believe) force on the steering-arm the sound seems to disappear. I told this to the guys in the shop but they do not seem to agree, although I am sure that is the problem. I am not a mechanic but trust the man who made the analysis.

Last edited by SV77; 09-05-2012 at 07:23 AM..
Appreciate 0