Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thackers View Post
With a manual gearbox Apart from :

1.the MPG Drop which at the time you may not notice

2. The apparent burning caramel smell

Are there any other symptoms?...I presume active the regen can't be completed with the car at Idle due the temperatures needed?
If you are sensitive to engine note/feel you may notice a gruff almost offbeat soundtrack.

The best advice is to continue until the regen' is complete. Regenerations can be interrupted and continue the next time the parameters are met. I've personally witnessed stopping mid regeneration, knowing I'm running again after a few minutes. On restart, within about half a mile the regen' will trigger again and go on to completion.

Idling or incomplete regenerations are where the issues come in. Idling is a cause of oil dilution during a regen', you don't want that too often or oil dilution tolerances will be overshot, and/or oil level will rise.

The extra heat for an active regeneration is obtained by an extra post injection phase, (heats the exhaust stream), so a working engine with load is better than an idling engine, where this extra fuel is not burned efficiently and can (and does) wash past the bores into the sump.

Talking with my local recovery guy, he has loads of issues with messed DPF regenerations. Worst case examples include oil dilution to the point of a break down in lubrication and con rods through the side of the engine. Runaway engine destruction (combustion fed from the diesel in the sump oil) or draining excess volumes of diluted oil. He told me one of the worst oil dilutions was over 100% extra in the sump, 'oil' now over 50% diesel.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0