12-04-2012, 04:26 AM   #332
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpinator View Post
I held off responding to this quote for a while to let the full effect sink in. I'm in the tiny minority who thinks that it looks OK, particularly in M Sport guise. That said, it would look so much better without the high roofline. Why couldn't BMW just use the same, sleek roofline of the 3 sedan and add the hatch? It would look great. The raised roof and larger greenhouse is what takes away from the overall look. I was seriously considering this version as my next car (if it would be offered in the US), but have decided against it. Looking OK isn't enough...
The problem is, if they start squashing it then does start to become pointless - the 3GT's selling point over the Saloon and the Tourer is the space for passengers. People seem to immediately jump to the conclusion that the touring is more practical - it may have a larger load lugging capacity, but it's not that spacious in the back.. the 3GT caters more to people who will likely have 4 adults in the car, rather than need to carry a couple of labradors in the boot.

Like I say, the more normal they try and make it the less useful it will actually be. The Audi A5 SB is a pointless car, it is marginally more cramped than the A4 in the back, and offers very little extra load space, it really is just for people who don't like the look of the A4 saloon or A4 avant. The 3GT will differentiate itself from the F30/F31 by actually offering more space.
Appreciate 0