08-30-2017, 02:35 PM   #8
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Rule of thumb when you change oil is to fill it up to stated capacity minus 0.8 to 1.0 quarts (or liters). Run your engine for a minute or two, shut it down, wait a few minutes, then check your dipstick (or iDrive in our case) to see how much more to add. For modern BMWs, you obviously have to run the car to check the oil level.

I've done dozens of oil changes on all sorts of cars, and I've never ever put in the rated capacity of oil in any engine. The closest I got was putting in 7.8 quarts in an 8qt rated LS3 motor. There's always residual oil in your engine and you'll never likely get to that max.

Also remember that you want to soak your oil filter in oil before putting it in so that should be included in your measurement.

So you probably overfilled your engine, but if the car isn't complaining, then it's probably not enough to be worried about. Just check your iDrive oil level measurement frequently. Make sure you're actually running the oil level check. The oil level status message is not up to date. You have to run the oil level check program to get an accurate reading.
Appreciate 0