View Single Post
      10-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #570
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
We need to remember in this saga, that EPS is not new to 3-series cars in the F30, has been used in some models of the 3-series E90/1 in Europe, for several years. With no mention of any strange vibrations to my knowledge. Certainly not come across as an EPS issue, until its implementation in the F30.

So not so sure it is simply an EPS problem.

There is the possibility that the modified suspension bushing, to help mask RFT use, has a part to play. A reason for saying this, softening bushing in the E39 was a major contributor to the infamous E39 steering shimmy.

HighlandPete
I too don't think this is a steering rack issue, and certainly not a tire issue.
Seems it's something that rotates that sets up an oscillation.

I'm wondering if it's actual wheels that are out of round, yet even with different wheels the vibe is there. Could the different wheels be made by the same manufacturer with construction problems among the different wheels?If not, then maybe the problem is with the hubs, or bearings?
I was thinking maybe it's the rotors, but 335i front rotors are not the same as 328i rotors, so maybe we can count that out. Focus down to parts that are shared between the models.
There could be a problem with the tolerances of these items during manufacturing, where most are fine and many are not.

Sometimes, vibrations felt at the front are being caused by something in the rear. Drive shaft imbalance?
If it's not a rotating part perhaps bushings in the steering system with excess tolerance is allowing a side to side oscillation to develop.

Luckily I don't have a vibration. Recently my 335i developed a "clunk" felt in the steering wheel when I turn the wheel enough for a 90 degree turn.
But no vibes still.

I hope for BMW's sake that your cars get a REAL fix.
This is turning out to be like the HPFP issue with the N54.
With the difference being you either have the vibe or you don't right when the car is new.
Appreciate 0