View Single Post
      10-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #24
DC Newbie
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp
Xdrive has come a long way from its initial application and now only adds about a tank of gas in terms of weight. It's also proven that in a straight line the rwd is slower than the xdrive. (This is fact, not theory) In the twisties we do not have any evidence of the rwd being faster so the jury is still out. We can speculate but it would be more useful if we had track data on this.

Judging from your post this is not what you are looking for.

In the winter what is dead certain is awd with winters is the best choice for winter driving. Any other combination (awd with all seasons, rwd with winters, etc) will have to come in second.

If you plan to track your car I doubt anyone can argue with the merits of hanging the tail out on the track, best done with the rwd. I also doubt you can lay down some rubber on the xdrive as it just puts power to the floor and takes off. For everyday driving or if you go to the track less often xdrive was designed to mirror the rwd, so whatever you get from the rwd you will get from the xdrive car. The xdrive dials out some of the under steer that may kick in with the rwd car though. With DHP you reduce the body roll from the standard suspension given the additional ride height in the xdrive compared to sport suspension. Either way body roll has been noted to be one unfortunate traits of the F30 in general probably save for those with MPS.

Either way, we have happy campers with rwd cars and equally happy campers with xdrive. All the best with the choice you make.
Totally agree. I know that a lot of enthusiasts on this board shun AWD. And, it's true that AWD rides a bit higher and has a little more body roll. On the other hand AWD will ride better on wet roads, and will allow you to go up a snowy hill a lot better than RWD. (Folks will say that RWD with snow tires will do just fine. I don't agree. Good luck trying to drive up a steep, icy/slushy incline with RWD.)

At the end of the day, unless your tracking your car, or are in the habit of kicking out the rear on public roads (neither of which I'm in the habit of doing), AWD does not present any performance disadvantages. On dry public roads, I don't think you'll feel much of a difference in terms of handling.
Appreciate 0