View Single Post
      09-03-2017, 02:47 AM   #1
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 328d sport wag

F31/F30 Surround View Retrofit (5DL)

Installation Date : 28 July 2017

First things first. Mad shout out to jkwhar for helping me with the finishing touches

I used Roxxor's and hrvojehk DIY for parts and references. Since the pics are gone I had to figure it out. My car already had front and rear PDC

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1130598

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=39

NOTE: Like any DIY project, proceed at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything that happens to your vehicle as a result of attempting this retrofit. This information is simply posted as a reference to help others who may wish to do this project on their own.

Parts :
-Surround view control unit
-Surround view HSD
-Fillister head screw x 4 07149166316
-Center Console Switch 61319252913
-Bumper repair kit 51117324343
-Front bumper camera x2 66539240352
-Mirror camera housing (Left & Right)
-Mirror screws 51167284135
-Mirror cable x2 61129281712
-Custom FAKRA Cable x2

Tools: See other lists, don't recall every tool but i did use other items to help
- pipe cleaners
-cable ties
-OEM bumper cutting tool

I apologize i did not take pictures every step of the way. Doing it in the GA heat makes you want to hurry up
You can start on any side first (Passenger bumper, passenger door, driver bumper, driver door).

Remove front bumper.
I removed it and placed it on a padding to avoid scuffs. At this time I also installed the LED fog lights.

I used the OEM PDC cutting tool to make perfect holes :thump:. Installed the front bracket and camera.

I plugged the cable to the cameras and routed them upwards. I then reinstalled the front bumper.

Next moved onto the mirrors.
I removed the door panel and speaker trim.
I remove the T-30 bolts that holding the mirror and removed the mirror.

I brought the mirrors inside to disassemble and do some prep work.
I wrapped the HSD cables in OEM loom tape to make it as factory as possible (not required)

I removed the custom cable plastic connectors, you will not be needing them.

Once mirror is disassembled you'll need to bore out the circle hole. This is where the mirror cable goes through. I believe it was a 1/4 bit.

Start small and keep working u on bits and fitting it till it locks in *click*

Install the camera to the mirror camera housing and route cable. Reassemble mirror and install back on door.

Route the custom cable with the door harness. Ensure you keep track of the connections so it works. Route and wrap the cable along the harness.

Push the connector till it locks in

Be sure to plug in cable and test to ensure its plugged in correctly

Warning: Routing the cable through the door is a pain in the A. Also working on the inside of the car to the door slot. FYI. Re assemble door panels once you verify the connections are the same.

*The custom cable; I connected it to the mirror straight on. When it Comes to the inside to the door part you will have to rotate it and trim the corner down to the angle. FYI

Repeat this for the other door.

Next I moved onto the floor. I removed the plastics under the driver and passenger side.

I replaced the current module with the surround view module on the driver side top left corner.

Right next to the module along the firewall you will see a big black rubber grommet where the wires go through.

There is a few small pre-holes for repair wires. You'll have to puncture through so the bumper camera wires go through. After I routed the from bumper wires through i secured them with zip ties along the harness.

Also be sure to seal the firewall with sealant to prevent water or anything to go through later.

Same with passenger side. Locate the rubber grommet. Route passenger cable along inside harness.

I then removed the AC trim to route the wire through. This is where I used the pipe cleaners

Route and tuck under the black air vents. Then route it down the left side of the vent ( you will see a hole down to the driver floor mat)

Route all cables to the surround view module and secure the cables.

Once all assembled.

Coding is the last thing. VO Code 5DL

My camera

I then used ISTA to recalibrate the cameras. The front bumper worked but the mirrors did not. my TRSV didn't have the CAFD so that was next. After having to inject the CAFD folder I was able to get my mirror cameras calibrated. :thump:

Appreciate 7
G4Z80829.50
david51537.50
eleven11371.50
GOWRIN110.50
VipinLJ1941.50
SirMoo3.00