View Single Post
      08-15-2012, 03:18 AM   #97
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Wow, this topic has moved on since yesterday. Seems to be some very alarmist views against BMW, considering this impact test is not part of the industry standard test regime.

I'm all for moving on, but when we have a test like this put in the melting pot, there will always be a wide range of results, but does it mean a car is less safe, in the way we appear to see panic here.

I've spent much of my career in the safety business and nothing is that straight forward when we first look at new test results. BTW, I see nothing in the NCAP roadplan that particularly indicates this type of test was on the horizon. I'll research that a bit more.

I must come back on this thread when I've thought it through a bit more.

But I pose a "food for thought" comment. How many car users ever think how their wheel size choice will impact (excuse the pun) on the type of test you are looking at in the videos. I suggest we think seriously about going back to the smallest rims and having more rubber. Also what about engine choice and how that affects any corner impact, weight/mass, etc.

Yes, user choices and options (on any particular model) could make a difference to the safety of their car, there are so many variables.

HighlandPete

Last edited by HighlandPete; 08-15-2012 at 03:26 AM..
Appreciate 0