02-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 750i

Garage List
Help! Android connectivity to iDrive

I am posting in this forum since the F10 5 Series forum does not have a forum for this type of topic. My car is a 2012 535i MSport with Navi/iDrive

I went from an iPhone 4, to a 5 and now got an Android. It is a Motorola RAZR HD running Android 4.1

When I would connect to iDrive to play music through the iDrive interface, I had always connected the phone into the USB post in the center arm rest. Never use Y Cable, just plain USB to apple iphone cable. When I hit the CD button, it would pretty much immediately pick up the iPhone and I can select Playlists, music, etc.. and album art would display while playing. Never had an issue.

I am trying to connect the Motorola to the car the same way. USB to the phone through the USB port in the center arm rest. Nothing. When I hit CD it shows as if nothing is plugged in. The phone does not even charge. If I unplug the cable at the USB plug and replug, it will charge but thats it. The iDrive system doesnt see the phone.

When I plug it in it also doesnt ask me about using the device as a mass storage device which is what I am apparently expected to see.

Am I missing something?

Another point to note is the Bluetooth connection. It doesn appear to stay connected after pairing.

Anything anyone can do to help will be appreciated or else this phone goes up for sale !

Thanks