View Single Post
      07-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #38
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by martianpc View Post
I do not think we buy options and luxury over the actual car. If that was the case I would buy a Lexus or Cadillac. I think we have advanced with modern technology to the point that the balance and integration with the driving and mobility functions is more interconnected. We can by all means eliminate these new features and just have a drivers car; but if we are going to have these features though, why not consider the benefits of newer technology when it is available.
That's sounds, at first, like an adequate rationalization
However, the real integration of technology and automobiles has to do with computing and sensors, stability controls, traction control, smarter ABS, etc... These are real techno integrations with the automobile that are used to assist, and enhance driver control and driving experience.

iPod, USB, BT audio streaming, fancy idrive screens, etc... are not part of driving enhancement. They are technologies used to help sell the automotive product.
Are they needed? Not for driving. Not to mention they create even grater driver distraction, creating greater risk of accidents. But, people are expecting these things to be in there.

The point we are at with "entertainment" technology and automobiles is driven by consumers believing that they need those gadgets in order to commute to work, or go to the store to buy groceries. It's not a necessity until you've convinced yourself you can't live without it.

The question you posed is whether you should cancel an order due to 1 piece of technology that is not essential to driving.
My answer is based on that question.
No, I don't think cancelling the order makes sense. The current idrive is just fine.
Can you not get to work if the idrive doesn't have the fanciest screen or controls?

I understand some people want these things, and believe they HAVE to have these things. I'm not against your wants. You should get what you feel you must have, as you are the one paying for it.
But, you asked a question, and on a big forum like this, you'll get many types of responses.
Appreciate 0