View Single Post
      07-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Also let me add that a few different sales people over the years at Audi that we have talked to always seem to think that Audi is the top selling luxury brand, why is that? Seriously the guy I talked to last week was telling me how Audi is the #1 selling premium brand and his dealership is rocking on the weekends (was empty on a Tuesday when I went) and the BMW down the street never has many people in it (which I knew was false because my family has been going there for years and its always packed).

Do they have training seminars where they brainwash their sales people with lies? Audi is no where near Mercedes or BMW for top spot, don't even think they are hitting Lexus numbers yet. They are nice cars but I hate being lied to.
It's odd that they think if they're #1 in sales, then as a customer you should then choose them.
I don't buy my cars based on who is selling the most cars.
I buy what I like.

Audi does have a valid point though when they claim to be the best selling brand. But it also matters in which market they claim this to be true.

Here is some info for 2011. 2012 is not over, so all we can get is year to date or monthly sales.
It is amazing that in this economy premium/luxury brands are actually increasing sales.

From autospies.com
Audi on Monday unveiled sales growth of 19.2 percent for last year, outpacing 12.8 percent for the BMW brand and 8.0 percent at Daimler's luxury brand.

The VW unit sold 1.30 million cars in the year, compared with 1.38 million BMWs and 1.26 million at Mercedes-Benz.

Audi wants to dethrone BMW as the world's number one premium car maker by 2015 through powering ahead in China and the United States, the world's biggest luxury car market.

There were earlier in 2011 suggestions that BMW would outsell Audi and MB, and they did as you can see. But, its' really close.
Also, Audi is showing bigger gains over all. BMW is increasing NA sales, but sales have leveled off in the Euro market.
19.2% increase in sales for Audi, 12.8% for BMW.

For 2012 I'm going with BMW out pacing Audi mostly with the excellent F30 sales. The A4/S4 and A3 are old models now. This year a new A3 sedan is coming. I think it'll be here this year. But, it'll probably sell very well.
The A4 has only been "freshened up", but nothing major for buyers.
BMW on the other hand, has done very well with the 1 series, but it too is now tired. The new 2 series coupe should really help US/NA BMW sales, and the new Euro 1 series hatch was released this past year as well.

This rivalry is great for those of us who like German automobiles.
I'm really looking forward to the A3 sedan, and hopefully BMW's response with a 1/2 series based sedan as well, at least for the US/NA market.
Appreciate 0