Thread: DCT tranny
View Single Post
      12-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #28
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Not debating the ability or benefit of the 8AT being able to downshift directly into a lower gear in auto mode but can it do it in manual mode? That is, if you are in 6th and want to go to 3rd, can you click the shift paddle 3 times and go to third? In the DCT you can. Even if the DCT has to engage intermediate gears it isn't noticeable. When I had my M3, the DCT would up/down shift immediately and could downshift multiple gears in manual mode instantly. The MCT in my C63 is fast but in manual mode can't "skip" gears and it is annoying when driving on a track or aggressively (and I would bet it is every bit as fast or faster than the 8AT in the BMW). The C63 auto claims to shift as fast as 100ms and it is very fast and responsive but it is no where near as responsive as the DCT in the M3 even if the shift speeds are similar... the 8AT is the same... a VERY fast auto but is not as immediate and responsive and direct as a DCT when in manual mode. DCT's cannot be matched in manual mode IMO as they are truly manual transmissions that shift at incredible speed.

My point is that for track/aggressive driving, the DCT is a better and more direct transmission and that is the only time multiple downshifts are needed (most modern transmissions have incredibly quick ""kick down" modes including the DCT). In that case, the only transmission that can do it in manual mode is the DCT... and it does it instantly. I do believe the 8AT is the better transmission for daily driving and is very fast and responsive. The DCT is the transmission of choice for track/aggressive driving IMO. I said this in another thread... there is a reason BMW has a DCT in the M3.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0