View Single Post
      12-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i 8SA M-Adaptive

Garage List
E-Sys Dongle DIY (done a little different)

So I ordered my OBDII adapter off ebay just svache's post (took 4 weeks to come from Hong Kong, 1$ for the adapter, $2.31 for postage.

When it got here I thought instead of just building the cable like it said, how Rube Goldberg could I make this thing. Maybe instead of just wiring an ethernet cable to the adapter, what if I cut it up and buried an ethernet jack into the adapter. That way I could just leave the adapter in my glove box and use any standard Ethernet cable with it of any size that was convenient at the time. I went and grabbed an adapter out of my bag, and it looked like it might be close enough to fit

Inside looked like some stuff would have to be removed and the tabs on the Ethernet jack removed as well

Well might as well try cutting it up - it only took 4 weeks for it to get here right? Maybe I should have bought 2....
I took my Dremel and cut out all the offending plastic - here's a "before and after"

And took the Dremel to the Ethernet jack as well, then filed everything "smooth" with some 150 grit sand paper

Dry fitting - That might just work

Cabled it up per the diagram (note - I didn't take a picture with the resistor soldered on b/c I haven't bought it yet)
These little jacks are super easy to use, just thread the cable through the middle and over the slot of the pin you're interested in, then use the plastic tool that comes with it to force the cable into the slot

Clipped off the extra cables and put the Ethernet cover on - internally "finished"

I had done our Christmas card address labels yesterday, so I still had a sheet of labels in the printer - figured I should put a roundel on it just in case I forgot what it was for

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0