View Single Post
      02-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
E90 Skye
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Thumbs up Close Look at F30 328i Suspension by Insideline!

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
pretty informative and great pics of the underside and part that counts of the new kid on the block!

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...-bmw-328i.html

Quote:
The 2012 BMW 328i is the first example of the all-new 6th-generation 3 Series sedan (code name: F30) we've had in the shop.

It's hard to tell with the naked eye, but the footprint of BMW's volume seller has grown significantly. Longer overall by 4.3 inches, it now rides on a wheelbase that's 1.9 inches longer. And even though its overall width has shrunk by a scant 0.2 inches, the U.S.-spec 2012 328's tires have been spread farther apart by 1.2 inches up front and 2.3 inches out back. Despite all this, the curb weight of a 328i manual only increases by 44 pounds.

In CAFE terms, the footprint has been increased 5 percent, from 44.8 square feet to 46.9 square feet. That's interesting because cars with bigger footprints have less aggressive fuel economy increase targets. And the new CAFE standards only regulate the footprints you build in a given year, not the footprints you built last time out. At least in part, this size growth may be an example of strategic upsizing for CAFE purposes.

But such regulatory talk is boring. Let's see the metal.

Along the way you might want to open my walkaround of a 2009 BMW 3 Series in another window. That one was an M3, so you'll see more aluminum, but you can still see how the basic architecture differs...or doesn't.

Name:  f30suspension1.jpg
Views: 54863
Size:  60.5 KB

Even though the detail dimensions are different, the basic 3 Series suspension philosophy remains. This is still a strut-based front suspension.

Name:  f30suspension2.jpg
Views: 88721
Size:  72.4 KB

As before, this is a "dual link" strut, in that it uses two distinct links (green), each with their own ball joint, instead of a single lower control arm and one lower ball joint.

The front stabilizer bar is direct-acting via an elongated stabilizer link (yellow) that connects directly to the strut housing.

Name:  f30suspension3.jpg
Views: 57562
Size:  58.5 KB

The key advantage of this arrangement is the ability to move the virtual steering pivot point outboard to a spot that would be physically impossible with a single ball joint. This in turn allows the engineers to reduce the scrub radius and do other cool things with steering geometry. Of course the "instantaneous virtual" intersection point shown above is constantly moving, so figuring it out properly is a bit more complicated than just overlaying a couple of yellow lines.

Name:  f30suspension4.jpg
Views: 46185
Size:  41.1 KB

Pretty neat, huh?

Name:  f30suspension5.jpg
Views: 73931
Size:  76.8 KB

Among all that aluminum there's a front suspension height sensor (green) and we can just see the bottom of the twin-tube front strut (yellow).

Name:  f30suspension6.jpg
Views: 54299
Size:  81.4 KB

One of the "tells" that gives away the twin-tube strut is this (green) flattened section for tire clearance. And this mechanism (yellow) shows that this 3 Series is equipped with the "Adaptive M Sport" suspension with electronically controlled dampers. The height sensor we saw previously is one of several inputs that feed into the controlling ECU.

Name:  f30suspension7.jpg
Views: 50800
Size:  67.4 KB

The 328i's brakes, meanwhile, are comprised of single-piston floaters (green) and ventilated rotors. One of the openings in the front grille (yellow) brings in cool air.

Name:  f30suspension8.jpg
Views: 47303
Size:  84.0 KB

Peel back the diagonal hood seals on either side and you'll find a strut tower brace (yellow) that ties into the firewall.

Name:  f30suspension9.jpg
Views: 46983
Size:  63.6 KB

Hard to tell what's going on in back from this angle. Nicely finished wheel well, though.

Name:  f30suspension10.jpg
Views: 58438
Size:  94.5 KB

The rear of the new 3 Series is propped up by a 5-link multilink setup that's similar, but not identical, to last year's. It's almost impossible to see all five links in one shot, but we'll eventually catch up with all of them.

As we've seen many times before, the two upper links (green) approximate an upper A-arm. The forward-most of the two lower links (yellow) is visible, but the rearmost one is not because it's behind the shock. The slender link at the rear (orange) is the toe link.

Name:  f30suspension11.jpg
Views: 76787
Size:  99.8 KB

From this vantage point we can see the missing link (yellow), a massive affair that also carries the spring and shock absorber. The toe link (green) we saw in the last shot sits just above it. Both of them have eccentric cams built into their inner attachment points; the lower one is for camber and the upper one is for toe.

Name:  f30suspension12.jpg
Views: 52366
Size:  94.8 KB

This head-on view of the same links shows the eccentric cams a bit more clearly. It also shows us the motion ratio of the spring to be about 0.60-to-1 and that of the shock to be about 0.85-to-1, not unlike the outgoing generation.

Name:  f30suspension13.jpg
Views: 53877
Size:  80.6 KB

The underneath view (my new favorite) shows just how the two lower links work together. None of this was all that visible until I first removed an aerodynamic cover that fastens to four tiny bolts that surround the spring pocket.

Name:  f30suspension14.jpg
Views: 49598
Size:  90.1 KB

A smallish (but big enough) rear stabilizer bar (green) snakes between the upper links on the way to meet its own drop link.

Name:  f30suspension15.jpg
Views: 47488
Size:  68.4 KB

That link is made of high-grade plastic and has ball joints on both ends. It attaches directly to the knuckle at a 1-to-1 motion ratio.
Right next door stands another twin-tube shock with electronically adjustable damping.

Name:  f30suspension16.jpg
Views: 48092
Size:  82.6 KB

Wherever there are computer-controlled shocks there will also be suspension position sensors.

Continued at http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...-bmw-328i.html
CURRENT - E36 M3 Alpine White | BC Coils | FROMERLY - 2006 Jet Black 330i | Premium Package | ZF AT | LUX 4.0 | Jlevi M3 Front Bumper | CF Mtech spoiler | Gloss Black Grill | Msport wheel | Blacklines | Koni FSD + Eibach Pro-kit | BMS PBX
Appreciate 0