07-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #163
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE View Post
Well said RPM90.

BJ makes some legitimate points but the over-the-top judgement against enthusiasts is BS. There may be a small percentage of hardcore enthusiasts out there but I would bet there are quite a large percentage of 3 series owners who choose BMW because of the driving dynamics and not just for tech, luxury or status. Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, Cadillac, etc all offer those amenities as good if not better, however, BMW still tops then in sales. Why is that?

I personally like the F30 because its like a modern E39 at 3 series pricing. If they would make a slightly more aggressive version (i.e., 328is or 335is) then I think it would be perfect. I do believe BMW will release a smaller 2 series sedan that will make the enthusiasts who miss the old E36 or E46 happy, as long as they nail the styling.

I also think with the 2 series BMW will have no need to make the 3 series any larger. Its equally sized to its competitors now, so it no longer has that negative against it when compared to the others. BMW did well with this one, and it will only get better with updates.
Thanks.

Yes, it is the WAY over the top generalizations.

A 2 series sedan would be a valid option.
The A3 sedan, and the new ATS will be interesting to see how they perform and now they sell.

A 1 series is not really an option for many people who may need 4 doors occasionally. The 1 may offer many aspects that some want, but it's a coupe, not comparable to a sedan and it's added utility.
Appreciate 0