View Single Post
      01-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
vigalent
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 318D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster
Not exactly a scientific thread but this hotukdeals deal page shows exactly why the UK will never accept winter tyres:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/good...r-tyre-1446250

Comments like this:
Quote:
Surely driving on snow is more about the tread depth than anything else. If less than around 3mm you will struggle for grip and traction on any tyre, I couldn't believe the difference when I had new front tyres on my FWD car last winter. Winter tyres in themselves can only have a marginal difference over similar tread depth normal tyres (unless of course you have semi slick type summer tyres on sporty cars). It may appear to make a difference if you are one of those that swap your tyres over each winter as you will likely be swapping worn summer tyres with low tread depths for barely used winter tyres with loads of tread.
Yeah. It's so sad that most people just don't understand the idea (or technology) behind winter tyres that makes them so much better than summer tyres.

Me personally, I fitted them last winter for the first time and would never look back.

The last few days I've actually enjoyed driving around in the snow rather than dreading it.
Appreciate 0