Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRWS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown
We went from a 2013 328i to a 2016 428i GC and anecdotally, the GC has better noise reduction. There seems to be less road and wind noise with the GC, plus when shutting the doors, there is a more solid "thunk" over the previous F30. The GC also has less of a "diesel" sound both outside as well as in the car which could be attributed to better insulation plus a possible upgrade to the turbo.
Anyhow, I like what they've done with the F36 GC.
The turbo is definitely identical. Insulation could be different. During a test drive before I got my 340 I drove a 435 Gran Coupe with the M performance exhaust. It was pretty quiet. Immediately starting the 340 the exhaust was much louder. Either way for the OP I feel the type of tire is causing the road noise.
Tyre roar is certainly the main factor contributing towards road noise entering the cabin. I have fitted what are known to be amongst the quietest RFTs without a lot of improvement in road noise. Poor noise insulation is a common complaint amongst F30/31 owners, particularly in the UK

My question to forum members however isn't about what's causing the noise but whether they have noticed a reduction in road noise when moving from an F30/31 to a 4 series GC

Thanks