View Single Post
      11-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Have ANY of the reviews actually said the 330d hasn't got a brilliant engine? We know AutoCar made a negative about the example they were driving, but that doesn't mean it wasn't true and that other engines are better/different.

Lets not forget 330d engines have been around for years and even the current version is not a 'new' engine to the testers, so why do we think it needs to be proven to be 'brilliant' in the 3-series, almost goes as read, doesn't it? The 328i got a bit more attention, as that was a new departure for BMW, and everyone was wanting to see how it performed.

The best tests, IMO, will be when we see some serious group tests with its peers. Then we can see how the motoring journos really feel about the 330d.

BTW, DieselCar have tested the 330d touring and of course they are very positive. The comment that caught my eye;

HighlandPete
Yes, some fair points there Pete. I wouldnt expect no negative comments about the 330d. Its a great engine, but still a diesel so rattles and doesnt rev high like a petrol etc...
I think its the true enthusiasts for this kind of car that will give stunning, glowing reviews. Journos drive dozens of cars at a time and lets face it, virtually all new cars drive pretty good these days and there is perhaps 5% between a lot of them, if you rated them overall out of 100%.
Appreciate 0