View Single Post
      04-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #13
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Thanks. Didn't think I would get replies on this topic.....

Here is who I contacted already in past 8 month:

1. Local family services (great place, but they were not able to help with SSA)
2. Local large elder care services provider, Baybath (no help)
3. Elder abuse/neglect hot line (no help)
4. Local attorney for SSA cases currently has his case (Same attorney that elder care services use, so far no help, started case here 8 month ago)
5. I personally have been dealing with this for almost a year now and been to local SSA office many times
6. Senator Ed Markey's office who specifically deals with elder health and SSA (zero help, 3 month into my case with them all I got was TOO BAD....and 1 phone call from SSA office)
7. Also spoke with Boston SSA attorney (Was told I MUST use local SSA law office, and also told me SSA can easily select a person who they dont like and make it a nightmare for him)

Now why this is happening and what they are requesting:

Dad didnt manage his finances properly, was self-employed, got stoke, became disabled and broke. I got him $880 in SSA benefits ($350 pension and $530 in low-income supplementary benefits)

About 3 month later he broke some rules for complying with SSA (he has dementia), they removed all his benefits. I was able to prove that it was a mistake etc, I provided them with all papers from the doctors stating that he is disabled has dementia etc. Everything seemed to go well.

Then about 2-3 month later just when I though he is getting everything back, they sent him a letter stating that he MUST apply for benefits in his country of birth Russia, and until thats done he will not get anything.

And now to this last issue:

There is a US law in place. If you came to USA after Feb 1992 (and he came in Sept 1992), you carry a dual citizenship and qualify for pension in Russia
which MUST be subtracted from your US benefits.
Sounds somewhat fair right? Currently Russian pension is about $100-150 per month. He used to get $350 in USA, minus Russian pension, and thats what he gets right now that $200 per month. So what happened to his low-income supplementary benefits, why did they remove another $530? It makes no sense to me and SSA office is not able to address this either.

Now he does not get any pension in Russia, he does not have Russian passport, if fact, he does not carry a single Russian document aside from an expired 15 years ago travel document. SSA said they dont care, must go and get your citizenship reinstated, collect all proper documents, and apply for Russian pension. After that pension is received, you will be able to apply for more benefits from SSA. I told them that its extremely long process (1-2 years) and my father is sick, has dementia, can barely walk after the stroke, does not have a car, and no money. Again.....they dont care....
I filled out an application for Russian Pension/Benefits, received a rejection letter due to lack of proper documents. SSA office said lack of documents is not a good enough reason and I MUST re-apply 2nd time in order to move this case forward. (I found all this out yesterday, Senator's office called SSA, and SSA called me back for the 1st time in nearly a year)

I am planning to re-apply again, go to SSA, provide proof, this could at least move the case forward (they give you 6 month to get a VALID rejection letter or the actual cash benefits verification). Also planning to ask yet again about relationship of his Russian pension to US low-income benefits.

PS. Its a pretty known case in local SSA office, 2 security guards run to the doors when I enter my dads SSN at walk-in ticket screen. I once called them to discuss the case, some very rude person answered the phone, said he is well aware of the case, and my dad will never get anything from them.....

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 04-13-2017 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0