07-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
HVYWGHT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT

Garage List
Electric Power Steering

I'm unfortunately assuming that the F30 will suffer the same fate as the most recent BMWs and have electric power steering. Is this true?

After driving the lifeless new 5er with this set-up, and then watching it lose a C&D comparo to an Infiniti and an old Audi for this very reason, I'm a little worried. When they went from electric-pump hydraulic steering in the MINI (R50/53) to an all-electric steering set up in the R56 (current gen MINI), it lost the instant tactile feel. It still goes around turns, but the actual feeling is lost. When they made the last gen Z4 M version, they put a hydraulic rack back in to regain steering feel....

I understand BMW's desire to eak out every last bit of fuel efficiency with this shift being part of it, but I really can't bare to think of the 3 series losing its best in the world steering feel for a little less gas. Give the USA stop-start if you want to do this. Lighten up the vehicles with carbon fiber roofs and hoods. Just keep the hydraulic rack, PLEASE!

Anyone else out there agree?
-'12 BMW 328i (E91): Tasman Green, Oyster, 6AT; 6/12-4/17
-'04 MINI Cooper (R50): Indi Blue w/White Top, Black, 5MT; 1/04-
Appreciate 0