View Single Post
      12-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

Wheels COTY review of 3 series

When i was researching the 3 series before my decision to buy the 328i, I read the Wheels mag comparo against the A4 and C250 which helped influence my decision to add the adaptive suspension.

I was surprised when the 3 series made it to only round 2 of the Wheel COTY award and not the final 3rd round.

They criticised the standard suspension again in the coty like they did in the comparo, but this time were inconsistent with their praise of the adaptive. Within the same article whilst they lauded it, they also panned the comfort mode for lacking body control and the sports mode being too hard.

Am i missing something, or isnt that the purpose of the adaptive to choose which end of the compromise you want?

Mind you this was inconsistent of their praise in the comparo where they felt the comfort setting was the only setting you needed. Right...

Of course there are tons of other reviews out there that are largely in favour of the new car, but I want to know what Aussie F30 owners with adaptive who have also owned a E90 think? Has the 3 series truly lost the body control that the 3 series is historically known for? I realise that the responses in this forum may be biased, but still hoping to capture all views out there.

My understanding is the sports mode is still a little more comfortable than the E90 but maintains the same level of body control.

Perhaps the only thing i can think of is VW have 3 settings for their adaptive whereas BMW only has 2. Perhaps BMW needs to think about a 3rd goldilocks setting?

thoughts?

Btw I am a soon to be 1 st time owner and i thought the standard suspension handled fine... With the caveat that i did not and possibly could not test drive it in a sweeping mountain pass and did swerves at low speeds in a suburban street!

Anyway, even though they were negative about the standard suspension it felt as though if the adaptive was standard, the F30 might have gine all the way to win the Coty.

The fact that the Toyobaru won, despite the lack of tech advancement, says that they were more biased towards a sporty performance. I think that is at odds with their previous bias towards advancement in automotive technology which i think the 3 series has in spades. I also feel the 3 series, is not only taking car tech forward, but is more balanced.

Put it this way, if you only had the opportunity to run 1 car, which one would you choose ? One that is a focussed driver's car on a track, or one that is a daily commuter, does long distance trips with space at the back and boot, holidays, and has a comfortable interior?

Btw i noticed ine if the revived threads talks about nocking. Dnt now if it is the same rattle that the Wheels test picked up in the steering column?
Appreciate 0