mkrup87
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340xi M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Here is my comment on this from another forum:

I was doing a little more reading on this and found some similar discussions here when the last M5 engine was released. From what I read it looks like even though the EPA certification may be done on the 340i, the car cannot be released until the California CARB certification is done. This applies even to non-California cars since these are "50 state" cars apparently. So I think we are waiting on a CARB certification to get the EPA hold released.

Here is some info on the CARB process, and here is the CARB page showing 2016 MY certifications that was last updated August 19. If you look down the list, the last BMW updates were late July, and none of them look like the 340i engine (at least not that I can make out).

Edit: If you scroll to the very last page of each PDF it shows the actual car model like 535i etc. I went through them all and there is no 340i approval among those PDFs.
Interesting... Had an unusual discussion with a BMW NA rep on the hotline the other day, and I wonder if this explains it. My car was supposed to be week 34, and has been 112 for about a month now. When I talked to the rep, she sounded very confused--said she didn't know why my car wasn't in production, and that it wasn't even showing an estimated build week anymore, but there were no notes in the file explaining anything.

My theory: there are too many 340s in port in the US waiting on emissions, so they're delaying additional US-bound 340s until the backlog is cleared.
Appreciate 0