View Single Post
      08-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #393
utnuc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
Something we may take for granted that might be confusing some would be the difference between Radio Presets and the 1-8 Shortcut Buttons.

One of the very best features of the F30 is that fact that you have instant access to a merged list of AM, FM, and Satellite radio stations available on the scroll wheel on the steering wheel. You set this by navigating to a favorite station under AM, FM, or Sirius tuners and adding to the Presets list. This list is available on the Radio main menu and on the scroll wheel.

Completely unrelated are the 1-8 Shortcut Buttons in the middle of the dash which are independent from the Radio Presets and can be programmed to execute functions in iDrive like map views, spilt-screen, voice dialing, etc.

When I first got my car I didn't realize that the two were different, thought that like a conventional car radio that the 1-8 buttons were for my radio stations under each individual tuner band. Was very surprised to find that a) I could merge all favorite radio stations on one list without toggling through AM>FM>SAT and that b) I could therefore free up the 1-8 buttons for more useful functional shortcuts buried in iDrive.

BJ

Fantastic post, was wondering how this worked. Was worried I'd have to decide between radio presets and useful iDrive functions. That would've limited me to only 3-4 presets for FM/sat radio.
Appreciate 0