stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
i dont care if tuning god made this. $1500 for a non-custom tune is just out right idiotic. its the people who purchase thesr ridiculus products that drive up the ridiculus german aftermarket prices.
for 5~600 you can get a nice dyno ecu tune with second map (e85) on most domestic or japanese cars. And here are people saying its fair price just becaUse they are reputable? their profit margin must be 80percent or more.
ECU tunes can get wiped out from a service ECU upgrade. ECU tunes are easily found by BMW techs and will void warranty on your engine. ECU tunes are not removable before going in for warranty service. ECU tunes need to be reflashed by the installer after service visits. These are some of the reasons piggyback boxes are so popular for folks still on warranty.

The question is, do you really get what you pay for when you pay $1500 for a tuning box ($4500 from AC Schnitzer, but they offer a Dinan-type warranty on the engine). If we're talking BMS's JBD unit for comparison, you pay $400, but you get $400 worth of electronics. It's worth the money, sure, but that doesn't mean it's as good as it gets. If you look at the schematic for the installation of a Kelleners Sport, Hartge, etc. box you'll see that you're hooked up individually to each of the injectors and the exhaust temperature sensor (and the throttle pedal with Hartge). That's a hell of a lot more information coming and going between the box and the engine than the simple CR pressure sensor and boost sensor plug you get with the JBD. In my book the more complex German plug-n-play produces a safer, smoother, and more efficient increase in engine output and one that is easier on the DPF and the environment because of more efficient combustion.

Less information = more stress on engine parts.

It's not just about reputation, it's about technology. I've seen a lot of brand loyalty to BMS, which is probably justified for the gasser piggybacks, but not for the JBD. BMS has put a lot of R&D into their gas engine boxes but very little into the JBD--which was created years ago for several different 2005+ engines and STILL is recommended for use with the new 2014 N47d20 tune. The German tuners spend their R&D money on producing specific boxes for specific engines and their OE tunes.

Old & generic tuning technology = more stress on engine parts.

I'll say it again, you get what you pay for.