Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Condolences to all involved.

The lesson to learn here is NOT to immediately place blame. The lesson is that when you're behind the wheel, YOU - the driver, are responsible for your own well being.

Assertions based on entitlement - ie it's the other guy's fault for cutting him off are ill conceived. You must always be sure to have a "plan B" when you're driving be it in a parking lot, on the highway or on track.

You must always assume that the other drivers sharing the road with you might pull out in front of you. If that were to happen, you better be prepared to take evasive action. I personally dial back my speed whenever I'm overtaking another vehicle so that I'm better equipped to handle something such as this. As mentioned above, if you are at speed, physics works against you if you need to make an abrupt change of direction. It's wholly irrelevant that I'm not in the wrong to be passing a slower vehicle. Arguments of who was "right" and who was "wrong" are of little meaning if you're dead.

None of us here have firsthand knowledge of what happened. So, none of us have the right to draw any conclusions or place any blame. I personally feel that posting this is a valuable tool to help educate those who don't fully understand the potential consequences one can face regardless of what, where or how they are driving. Motor vehicles are dangerous. They must be treated with respect at all times.

I agree with your post on all accounts ! Thanks for writing those clear and objective words. This is the reality. Everyone one is at fault, starting with ourselves first !

I am learning myself. This thread is the reality of things, not the joyful pink image we have drawn for ourselves.
Appreciate 0